Letter to Parents 03/24/2020
- Connecticut schools/IDCS will be closed until April 20. IDCS will be taking Spring Break from April 13 to April 17. Neither teachers nor students will be working this week or on Good Friday, April 10, which is a statewide holiday.
- The statewide SBAC tests have been waived; consequently, IDCS students will not be taking this test.
- Parents/caregivers drive down to the school in a single file.
- Write your child/ren's name, teacher, and grade on a white piece of paper large enough for us to read it.
- Write food on the paper if you are collecting food.
- Write chromebook (pick up for chromebook starts at 10:30) on the paper. We are only distributing Chromebooks to parents who have requested them. You must request them by 4:00 on Sunday. Send Dr. Retelle an email by 4:00 Sunday, March 22.
- Hold the white piece of paper on the passenger's side window so the IDCS staff member can see it.
- A staff member will bring the student packet, Chromebook and/or food to your car.
- Please do not ask IDCS staff questions or converse with them. We want to distribute the packets and Chromebooks as efficiently and quickly as possible.
- PLEASE STAY IN YOUR CAR.
Dear IDCS Students and families,
I have been thinking of all of our students and staff, our IDCS families and community this weekend. We are experiencing unusual and challenging situation...it is a time that we need to stay connected with our friends and families and with our IDCS community. Every 2-3 days I will communicate with families (via email, school messenger, IDCS website, and the parents' Facebook Page) to keep us all connected and to share information. My school cellphone 860-985-2866. I am always available, don't hesitate to contact me.
PLEASE READ BELOW:
Today's email includes:
- how & when we are distributing the students' work packets;
- how & when we are distributing food and who can receive food;
- student medicine if parents request it;
Student Work Packet Distribution: All of the grade level tables will be set up outside; parents/caregivers will be able to line up at least 3 feet away from each other and in front of the tables. Staff will check off the students' names, get the packets, and give them to the parents. Monday hours are 8:30am-6:00pm. Custodial staff will assist with traffic, if necessary.
Students who want to retrieve something from the building: Staff handing out packets need to direct parents/students to Dr. Retelle. Dr. Retelle will decide on a case by case basis to allow or not allow a student into the building.
Food Distribution: With school closing on short notice for a significant amount of time, we understand the difficulties that come with it as far as planning for your children. IDCS will still be providing breakfast and lunch meals to our students. Meals will be bundled so you will receive both breakfast and lunch for multiple days. Pick up times are between 8:30am-12:00pm Monday and Wednesday only.
Mondays pick up will include breakfast and lunch for Mon-Tue (3/16-17/2020)
Wednesdays pick up will include breakfast and lunch for Wed-Fri (3/18-20/2020). Next week the pick up days and times will be the same.
Kitchen staff are distributing food from the gym (same door that PreK-Grade 2/3 students are dismissed). Any families with IDCS or non-IDCS students under the age of 18 can pick up food at IDCS. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at Ashleyp@idcs.org or Ellen Retelle at EllenR@idcs.org.
Informative websites and links:
World Health Organization (WHO) https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Uncas Health District: https://uncashd.org/2019-novel-coronavirus-microsite/
Thinking of all of you...Stay well and safe.
Ellen Retelle, Ph.D.